The Linguistic Association of Finland is organizing a summer course/workshop on
NEW TRENDS IN VARIATIONIST LINGUISTICS: FROM ATTITUDES TO GRAMMAR
to be held at the University of Oulu, the Perameri Research Station by the unique nature reserves on the Hailuoto island
August 14-16, 1998
The workshop will bring together researchers and PhD students working in the field of language variation, ranging from morpho-syntactic variation to dialectology, sociolinguistic variation, code-switching, language attitudes and beliefs, and variation in interactional practices. The aim of the workshop is to explore new issues in the study of variation, such as the use of new methodologies and types of data. Participants are strongly encouraged to give a paper on any aspect of language variation, as this is an excellent opportunity to get feedback from others working in this area and from some of the leading scholars in variationist studies.
Peter Auer (University of Hamburg)
Juhani Klemola (University of Leeds)
Dennis Preston (Michigan State University)
* lectures by invited speakers
* presentations by other participants (20 min + 10 min for discussion)
* recommended readings before the workshop (the reading list will be distributed to registered participants)
* general: FIM 200
* members of the association: FIM 100
* undergraduate and MA students free
* payment upon registration
* send by giro account no 800013-1424850 to The Linguistics Association of Finland (SKY)/Variation, or payment at the beginning of the workshop in cash
* Accommodation and food FIM 170 x 3. Accommodation primarily in 4-8 person rooms.
* Bus from Oulu to Hailuoto on the morning of 14 August and back on the afternoon of 16 August (fare between FIM 50-100)
The deadline for submission of abstracts (one page; preferably in English) and registration is April 30, 1998.
Please register and submit an abstract by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants will be notified about acceptance by May 31.
For further information, please contact email@example.com
Back to SKY homepage