SYNTACTIC FUNCTIONS - FOCUS ON THE PERIPHERY
Symposium to be held in Helsinki, November 14-15, 2003
Call for Papers
The Linguistic Association of Finland is organizing a symposium on
Syntactic Functions - Focus on the Periphery to be held in Helsinki, Finland, November 14 - 15, 2003.
The symposium will bring together linguists interested in questions dealing with syntactic
functions. We invite papers addressing theoretical questions as well as papers taking a
specific (empirical) viewpoint of one (or more) particular language(s). We especially
encourage papers that concentrate on the syntactic status and description of "peripheral"
constituents - such as adnominal and adverbial modifiers, adpositional phrases, converbs,
adjuncts, discourse particles, various clause-size constituents etc. Possible themes include:
- language specific problems in determining the syntactic function of (a) specific
- the critical examination of principles used to define syntactic functions
- the borderlines between "the core" and "the periphery" or between obligatory and optional constituents
- the status of syntactic functions - are they primitives or derived?
Furthermore, we warmly welcome scholars working on spoken language: What kind of
syntactic functions are there in spoken language? Does the evidence from spoken language
challenge the traditionally assumed syntactic functions? Other topics relating to syntactic
functions are equally welcome.
- Christian Lehmann (University of Erfurt)
- Maria Vilkuna (Research Institute for the Languages of Finland)
- lectures by invited speakers
- presentations by other participants (20 min + 10 min for discussion)
The deadline for submission of abstracts (in English; max 500 words) is July 31, 2003.
Please submit your abstract by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The abstract should be included in the body of the message.
Please indicate clearly whether your abstract is intended as a poster or a section paper.
E-mail submissions are strongly recommended. If, however, you send your abstract by
ordinary mail, please provide an e-mail address as a contact address.
Participants will be notified about acceptance by September 1, 2003. The abstracts will be
published on the web pages of the symposium.
Back to the symposium main page