Restructuring of the HIT Centre

Dear friend of the HIT Centre,
We would like to inform you that the HIT Centre (Centre for Humanities Information Technologies) at the University of Bergen has been split into two research groups as of August 1st this year: The Research Group for Text Technology comprises our activities and projects connected with text encoding and editorial philology, of which the Wittgenstein Archive and our participation in the Text Encoding Initiative are the most important. The leader of the group is Associate Professor Daniel Apollon. Please feel free to contact him for more information.

The Research Group for Language Technology comprises our activities related to language technology, computational linguistics, corpus linguistics, terminology and lexicography. Many of the projects in this group are run in close collaboration with the Section for Linguistic Studies at the University of Bergen. The activities connected with our participation in ICAME (International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English) belong to this group as well. The leader of the group is Professor Gjert Kristoffersen, whom you are most welcome to contact if you have further questions.

The two new groups are both immediate parts of Aksis (Dept. of Culture, Language and Information Technology) which in its turn is part of the research foundation UNIFOB AS, owned by the University of Bergen. The two other research groups that belong to Aksis are The Centre for Cultural Research (formerly The Centre for the Study of European Civilization), led by Professor Siri Meyer and InterMedia Bergen, led by Professor Barbara Wasson.

This means that the HIT Centre itself does not exist anymore, but most of the former activities have been transferred to the two new research groups.

Yours sincerely,

Gjert Kristoffersen
Research Director

Kristin Bech, dr.art.
Forskningskoordinator
Research coordinator

Avdeling for kultur, språk og           Telefon: 55 58 97 98
informasjonsteknologi, Unifob           Faks:   55 58 94 70
Allégt. 27                              E-post: kristin dot bech at aksis dot uib dot no
N-5007 Bergen