[eu_members at aclweb dot org] be positive about the negative (JINR plug inside)

It must have been a most successful year for the computational-linguistic community: hardly anybody has had any _interesting_ negative results to report. We know, because submissions to our journal <www.jinr.org> have stalled (>-:). And yet: ACL 2010 features a special category of negative-result papers, so there must be a need. If the category stays empty, we will have the right to be even more upbeat. But if there indeed are interesting negative results to report, maybe the Authors will find an incentive to work an ACL hit up to a JINR hit. We invite, nay, we welcome all submissions which meet the journal's standards. Visit its Web site for more.

For the disinclined to surf, here are the essential points on the home page of the Journal of Interesting Negative Results in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning:

"The journal's scope encompasses all areas of Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. Papers published in JINR will meet the highest quality standards, as measured by the originality and significance of the contribution. They will describe research with theoretical and practical significance. All theories and ideas will have to be clearly stated and justified by a deep literature review.

Because of the nature of the journal, there should be good justification for trying out the ideas presented. The experiments reported should be shown in a manner that allows their reproduction. The negative results should be explained and justified, along with the reasons why the idea did not lead to the predicted results. The lessons learned should be clearly stated."

All the best,

Vivi Nastase and Stan Szpakowicz