[eu_members at aclweb dot org] First NLG Challenge on Generating Instructions in Virtual Environments

** apologies if you receive multiple copies **

First NLG Challenge on Generating Instructions in Virtual Environments

                     http://www.give-challenge.org/

                   Part of Generation Challenges 2009
                Endorsed by SIGGEN, SIGSEM, and SIGDIAL

                         CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                    (but differently than last time)

Dear colleagues,

a few months ago we announced the first GIVE Challenge, in which we
invited research teams to develop NLG systems that would generate
natural-language instructions that assist users in solving a puzzle in
a virtual 3D environment.  In case you missed the original call for
participation, you can still find it at
http://www.give-challenge.org/research.

Four teams from three countries have risen to this challenge and
submitted systems, which can now be used over the Internet.  Now we
want to evaluate these systems, and for this we need as many users as
possible who will play our 3D game and allow themselves to be guided
by the systems' instructions.

So we'd like to invite you to go to

   http://www.give-challenge.org/

and give it a shot!  You get to try out your colleagues' systems to
see how good they are, and contribute valuable evaluation data in the
process.  It should only take ten minutes of your time or so.  As an
added benefit, we will give away a $50 Amazon voucher each month to a
random player.

While we've put a lot of effort into making the software robust, a
minority of players seem to be experiencing crashes and network
problems.  If this happens to you, it would be very helpful if you
could send us detailed bug reports.

Also, please feel free to pass this invitation on to your colleagues
(not necessarily NLP experts), friends, and students.

Enjoy,

Donna Byron, Northeastern University
Justine Cassell, Northwestern University
Robert Dale, Macquarie University
Alexander Koller, Saarland University
Johanna Moore, University of Edinburgh
Jon Oberlander, University of Edinburgh