EAMT 2009 - 13th Annual Conference of the European Association for Machine Translation
May 14-15, 2009
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya,
Conference web site: http://www.talp.cat/eamt09
The 13th Annual Meeting of the European
Association for Machine Translation is being organised by Centre for Speech and
Language Applications and Technologies (TALP) and will take place May 14-15 on
the Campus Nord of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya in
The meetings of the European Association for Machine Translation are intended to provide a forum for researchers, commercial developers and users to exchange of ideas concerning all aspects of Machine Translation and translation-related tools and resources. The aim is to present recent research and current state of the art in the area, explore emerging R&D trends, provide information about evaluation techniques and tools and review the translation needs and the uses of translation technologies on the part of government and industry.
The Scientific Programme will include invited talks, a series of oral presentations and poster sessions. This year the main theme of the conference is:
"Translation among European languages, especially for languages with smaller speech communities and limited digital resources"
There are 23 official languages in the EU almost half of which have fewer than 10 million speakers. In addition, there are perhaps as many as 80 additional recognized languages or dialects spoken within its territory, the majority of which have fewer than 2 million speakers. The problems faced by government and industry in providing goods and services to people in their native language, in many cases a matter of law, is at the very least daunting. At the same time, current MT development methods require large amounts of human and/or digital resources. Thus, the focus of this EAMT conference is on how to develop translation technologies for and among languages with fewer speakers and more limited digital resources.
However, contributions are welcome on all topics related to Machine Translation or translation related technologies including:
· MT methodologies and techniques (SMT, EBMT, RBMT)
· Hybrid approaches integrating RMT and SMT
· Speech -to-speech translation
· Translation aids (translation memory, terminology databases, etc.)
· Practical MT systems (for professionals, multilingual eCommerce, localization, etc.)
· Translation environments (workflow, support tools, conversion tools for lexica, etc.)
· Human factors in MT and user interfaces
· MT embedded in other services (web search, eGovernment, etc.)
· MT evaluation methodologies and tools
· Lexicon and grammar acquisition and induction
· Dictionaries and lexica for MT
· Text and speech corpora for MT
· Multilingual technologies (natural language generation, information retrieval, text categorization, text summarization, information extraction, etc.)
The principal dates of interest include:
· October 2008 – Initial call for papers
· 31 Jan 2009 – Submission deadline
· 14-15 May 2009 – Conference
Please visit the conference web pages (http://www.talp.cat/eamt09) for the most up-to-date information about the calendar, the call for papers and formatting requirements, the programme, invited speaker and panel members, related conference activities, the venue, travel and registration.
Local organization is provided by the Centre for Speech and Language Applications and Technologies at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya.
See you in Barcelona!
The local organizing committee,
David Farwell (farwell at lsi dot upc dot edu)
Adrián R. Fonollosa (adrian at gps dot tsc dot upc dot edu)
José Mariño (canton at gps dot tsc dot upc dot edu)
Lluís Márquez (lluism at lsi dot upc dot edu)