[eu_members at aclweb dot org] 2009 North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad

The first round of the 2009 North American Computational Linguistics
Olympiad will be held on February 4, 2009. There are multiple
opportunities to get involved: 1. by hosting a local site where local
high school students will compete, 2. by submitting problems to the
jury, and 3. by getting involved with the NACLO organization. Please
consider these options. For more information, read below.

Drago

1. Hosting a NACLO site

The Organizing Committee of NACLO, the North American Computational
Linguistics Olympiad, invites you to become involved in our 2009
contest as a local site coordinator!

NACLO is a fun (and educational!) contest for U.S. and Canadian
high-school students in which contestants compete to solve compelling
and creative puzzles in linguistics and computational
linguistics. Requiring no previous knowledge of linguistics,
languages, or computing, these puzzles can be solved by analytic
reasoning alone, and serve as a fun introduction to a field to which
many high school students have never been introduced.

The Open Round competition will take place on February 4, 2009 at
universities and high schools across the U.S. and Canada. The winners
proceed to the Invitational Round (to take place on March 11, 2009),
where they try out for a chance to compete in the 2009 International
Linguistics Olympiad, to be held in Poland next summer.

NACLO is seeking site coordinators to run local contest sites for the
Open Round. We've found running local sites to be a fun and rewarding
experience for everyone involved. We'll provide the materials and
support, as well as instructions on how to coordinate a contest
site. Sites have ranged from having 5 contestants to having 200; the
scale is up to you.

For further information and/or to express interest in hosting a site,
please contact the organizers at naclo09org at umich dot edu

Visit http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu for more details such as the rules,
lists of winners from previous years, sample problems, etc. Check the
section on "Site/teacher registration" for specific information about
hosting a site (either high school or university site).

The deadline to register a site is October 30, 2008. After this
deadline, we will still consider new site registrations if our grading
capacity allows it.

Last year, we had 65 high school sites as well as 12 university
sites (Columbia, Cornell, U.Penn, U.Michigan, U.Illinois,
U. Wisconsin, Brandeis, SJSU, MTSU, U. Oregon, U. Toronto,
U. Ottawa). We expect a much larger list this year.

2. Problem solicitation

CALL FOR PROBLEM IDEAS

2009 North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad

    Deadline for problem submission: November 15, 2008

The Organizing Committee of NACLO, the North American Computational
Linguistics Olympiad, invites you to become involved in our 2009
contest as a problem writer.

NACLO is a fun (and educational!) contest for U.S. and Canadian
high-school students in which contestants compete to solve compelling
and creative puzzles in linguistics and computational linguistics.
Requiring no previous knowledge of linguistics, languages, or
computing, these puzzles can be solved by analytic reasoning alone,
and serve as a fun introduction to a field to which many high school
students have never been introduced.

The Open Round competition will take place on February 4, 2009 at
universities and high schools across the U.S. and Canada. The winners
proceed to the Invitational Round (to take place on March 11, 2009),
where they try out for a chance to compete in the 2009 International
Linguistics Olympiad, to be held in Poland next summer.

We are specifically looking for problem ideas in general linguistics
(e.g., focusing on morphotactics, grammar, spelling, semantics, etc.),
comparative linguistics (cross-lingual phenomena), and especially
computational linguistics (here the sky is the limit). All problems
should be based on real languages and real language phenomena or
challenges in computational linguistics.

The problems should also be appropriate for our targeted age group
(14-17 year olds).  They should require only logical thinking in order
to be solved.

For further information, please contact the chair of the program
committee, Dragomir Radev at radev at umich dot edu

Visit http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu for more details such as the rules,
lists of winners from previous years, sample problems, etc.

Last year, we had 65 high school sites as well as 12 university
sites (Columbia, Cornell, U.Penn, U.Michigan, U.Illinois,
U. Wisconsin, Brandeis, SJSU, MTSU, U. Oregon, U. Toronto,
U. Ottawa). We expect a much larger list this year.

3. Help needed.

If you are interested in helping NACLO in any way, including
organizationally or financially, please contact naclo09org at umich dot edu

Several positions on the organizing committee are still open.