[eu_members at aclweb dot org] The Netherlands: Eighth International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS-8) -- CFP

[ Apologies for multiple copies ]

     REMINDER: Deadline for submission of full papers is Octiber 1

                  Eighth International Conference on

                     COMPUTATIONAL SEMANTICS

                                 (IWCS-8)

         January 7-9, 2009, Tilburg, The Netherlands

                               -------------
                       Endorsed by SIGSEM,
   the ACL Special Interest Group in Computational Semantics

                               -------------

CALL FOR PAPERS

Tilburg University will host the Eighth International Conference on
Computational Semantics (IWCS-8) on 7-9 January 2009.
The aim of the conference is to bring together researchers
interested in any aspects of the computation, annotation,
extraction, and representation of meaning in natural language, in
multimedia objects, and in spoken, written, or multimodal dialogue.

               +---------------------------- ---------------+
               |               INVITED SPEAKERS             |
               |                 Martha Palmer                  |
               |                    Ido Dagan                     |
               |                Massimo Poesio             |

TOPICS OF INTEREST

Areas of special interest for the conference will be computational
aspects of semantic theories; the semantic annotation of natural
language and multimodal utterances; and theoretical aspects of
the design and implementation of language understanding systems
and systems for spoken, written, or multimodal dialogue.
Papers are invited that are concerned with topics in these and
closely related areas, including, but not limited to, the following:

* methodologies and practices of semantic annotation
* construction of representations of meaning
* approaches and achievements in textual entailment
* modelling and using context in semantic interpretation

* the semantics of semantic annotation
* machine learning of semantic structures
* informal and formal ('deep' and 'shallow') approaches to semantics
and their combination
* semantics and ontologies

* the semantics and pragmatics of dialogue acts
* construction and use of underspecified semantic representations
* semantic aspects of language generation
* computing meaning in multimodal interaction

* the semantic web and natural language processing
* the semantics-pragmatics interface in computational perspective
* semantic relations in discourse and dialogue
* shallow and deep semantic processing and reasoning

ISO/SIGSEM JOINT WORKSHOP ON SEMANTIC ANNOTATION

Immediately preceding IWCS-8, on 5-6 January 2009, a joint workshop
will be held of the ISO TC 37/SC 4 Working Group on Semantic
Content, and the ACL SIGSEM Working Group on the Representation
of Multimodal Semantic Information. The meeting will be about the latest
developments in semantic annotation efforts and the design of semantic
annotation schemas, with particular to two ongoing ISO projects, aiming
to develop standards for the annotation of temporal information and
dialogue act information, respectively. For more information see
http://let.uvt.nl/research/ti/iso-tdg3 and
http://let.uvt.nl/research/TI/sigsem/wg
and/or contact harry dot bunt at uvt dot nl

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

James Allen Alexander Koller
Ron Artstein Emiel Krahmer
Patrick Blackburn Alex Lascarides
Johan Bos Kiyong Lee
Harry Bunt (chair) Paul Mc Kevitt
Nicoletta Calzolari Dan Moldovan
Jae-Woong Choe Reinhard Muskens
Robin Cooper Martha Palmer
Kees van Deemter Manfred Pinkal
Jan van Eijck Massimo Poesio
Anette Frank Steve Pulman
Dafydd Gibbon Alan Ramsay
Jerry Hobbs Laurent Romary
Ed Hovy Patrick Saint Dizier
Daniel Kayser Carl Vogel

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

Harry Bunt Stephen Pulman
Johan Bos Olga Petukhova
Marieke van Erp Elias Thijsse
Jeroen Geertzen Sander Wubben
Reinhard Muskens Lauraine Sinay (secr.)

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

Three types of submission are solicited: full papers, short papers,
and project abstracts.

Full papers
-----------
Full papers are original papers of maximally 12 pages, that will be
published in the conference proceedings and will have a full oral
presentation at the conference.

Short papers/posters
----------------------------
Short papers are maximally 4 pages long, will be published in
the conference proceedings, and will have (1) a very brief ('flash'
or 'elevator pitch") oral presentation at the conference, and
(2) a poster presentation in a separate poster session.

Project abstracts
-----------------
Project abstracts are brief descriptions of 2 pages of ongoing,
recently completed, or starting projects. They will be published in
the conference proceedings and will be presented in a poster session.

Submission formats
------------------
Submissions of all three types will have to be done through the
submission page of the START conference system for IWCS-8.
See the IWCS-8 website http://iwcs.uvt.nl/iwcs8
for more information on the style files to be used. The page limits
presuppose standard 11 point Computer Modern font. Final versions
of accepted contributions will have to be submitted as LaTeX
source files to facilitate publication of the proceedings; we also
aim at publishing a selection of accepted papers in book form
after the conference.

Submission deadlines
--------------------
For full papers the submission deadline is 1 October 2008; for
short papers and project abstracts the deadline is 10 November.

IMPORTANT DATES

  1   October 2008 Submission of full papers
27   October 2008 Notification of acceptance
10   November 2008 Submission of short papers and project abstracts
17   November 2008 Final papers due
  1   December 2008 Deadline for early registration
5-6 January 2009 Joint Workshop on Interoperable Concepts for
                             Semantic Annotation, of ISO TC 37/SC 4/ WG 2 and
                             ACL SIGSEM Working Group on the Representation
                             of Multimodal Semantic Information
7-9 January 2009 IWCS-8 conference

FURTHER INFORMATION

Secretariat: Ms Lauraine Sinay
Department of Communication and Information Sciences
Tilburg University
PO Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
The Netherlands
Fax: +31-13 466 28 92
Phone: +31-13 466 81 18
Email: computational dot semantics at uvt dot nl

Website: http://iwcs.uvt.nl/iwcs8

IWCS-8 is endorsed by SIGSEM, the ACL Special Interest Group in
Computational Semantics (see http://www.sigsem.org).